What Accessories Make Trailers More Functional?

What Accessories Make Trailers More Functional?

A trailer is only as useful as the way you can actually use it.

When customers buy a trailer, it is easy to focus on the trailer itself—size, payload, axle rating, construction and price. But some of the biggest improvements in functionality come from the accessories you add to it.

The right trailer accessories can make loading easier, securing cargo safer, storing your equipment more convenient and even help you deal with unexpected problems on the road.

In my experience, the best accessories aren’t necessarily the most expensive ones. They are the ones that make sense for what you are hauling and how you plan to use your trailer.

Some of the accessories I recommend most often include:

  • Spare tires
  • Loading ramps
  • Toolboxes
  • E-track
  • Tarps and tarp rollers
  • D-rings and other tie-down points
  • Ratchet straps

The important thing is to think about how these accessories work together rather than looking at each one individually.

What Are the Best Trailer Accessories?

There isn’t one universal list of accessories that every trailer owner needs. The right setup depends heavily on the type of trailer and what you plan to haul.

That said, there are several accessories that can make almost any trailer significantly more functional.

Spare Tire

A spare tire is one of those accessories you hope you never need.

But when you do need it, you’ll be very glad you have one.

Trailer tires can encounter nails, sharp rocks, road debris and other hazards just like the tires on your tow vehicle. Having a spare tire with you can turn what could have been a major inconvenience into a much simpler repair.

I consider a spare tire one of the most worthwhile accessories for many trailers because it is difficult to predict when you’ll need it.

Loading Ramps

If you’re loading ATVs, lawn equipment, small machinery or other wheeled equipment, ramps can make a huge difference.

A trailer might have plenty of capacity and the perfect deck size, but if you don’t have an easy way to get your equipment onto it, you’re missing a major part of its functionality.

For deckover trailers in particular, ramps are an accessory I commonly recommend when customers are planning to load ATVs, equipment or other wheeled items.

Trailer Toolboxes

A toolbox can be one of the most useful accessories you can add to a trailer.

It gives you a dedicated place to keep:

  • Ratchet straps
  • Tie-downs
  • Hand tools
  • Spare hardware
  • Tire-changing tools
  • Other small equipment

Without a toolbox, these items often end up loose in the tow vehicle or scattered around the trailer.

A toolbox becomes even more useful when you are using hand-held ratchets and straps rather than trailer-mounted tie-down systems.

E-Track

E-track is particularly useful when you regularly haul different types of cargo.

Instead of having one fixed tie-down location that works for only certain loads, E-track allows you to position your attachment points where they make sense for the cargo you’re carrying.

I find E-track especially useful in enclosed trailers, where it can be mounted along the walls to give you convenient places to secure cargo.

Tarps and Tarp Rollers

For dump trailers, a tarp system is one of the most important accessories you can add.

A tarp helps keep your load contained and prevents debris from flying out of the trailer while you’re driving.

That isn’t just about protecting your own load. It is also about protecting the vehicles and people travelling behind you.

A tarp roller makes the system much more convenient to use because you don’t have to manually handle a large tarp every time you load or unload.

Why Trailer Accessories Work Better as a Complete System

One thing I always try to get customers to think about is that you’re often not hauling one single item.

You’re usually hauling an item and everything that goes along with it.

Take a deckover trailer and an ATV trip to the cottage as an example.

You have the ATVs, but that’s only the beginning.

First, you need ramps to get the ATVs onto the trailer. Once they’re loaded, you need ratchet straps to secure them properly.

If you’re using hand-held ratchets rather than a trailer-mounted tie-down system, you now need somewhere to keep those ratchets and straps. That’s where a toolbox becomes useful.

Then imagine you’re driving down a rough cottage road and hit a sharp rock that damages one of your trailer tires.

Now you’re reaching for the spare tire, and you’re probably reaching for the toolbox again to get the tools needed to change it.

None of these accessories are particularly complicated, but together they can completely change how convenient the trailer is to use.

That’s why I recommend looking at the entire setup instead of asking, “Do I really need this accessory?”

The better question is, “What will I need to successfully use this trailer for the jobs I have planned?”

Best Accessories for Different Types of Trailers

Different trailers have different jobs, so their accessories should be chosen accordingly.

Dump Trailer Accessories

For a dump trailer, one of the most useful additions is a tarp and roller system.

A dump trailer is commonly used to haul loose materials, which makes keeping the load contained especially important.

A tarp can help prevent material from blowing or bouncing out of the trailer while travelling, while the roller makes covering and uncovering the load much easier.

Other accessories can also make sense depending on what you’re hauling and how frequently you use the trailer.

Enclosed Trailer Accessories

Enclosed trailers are excellent candidates for E-track and D-rings.

E-track mounted along the walls gives you flexible locations for securing cargo, while D-rings in the floor provide additional tie-down points.

This combination can be especially useful when you’re hauling different sizes and shapes of cargo.

Instead of trying to make every load work with the same tie-down location, you have more flexibility to secure each load properly.

Utility Trailer Accessories

For utility trailers, I find toolboxes and D-rings particularly useful.

A toolbox provides a convenient place to store straps, ratchets, tools and other small items.

D-rings mounted in the floor give you dedicated points for securing your cargo.

Utility trailers often get used for a wide variety of jobs, so having a flexible setup can be extremely helpful.

One trip might involve landscaping equipment, while the next could involve building materials, furniture or recreational equipment.

Deckover Trailer Accessories

For a deckover trailer, I commonly recommend considering:

  • Loading ramps
  • A toolbox
  • A spare tire
  • Proper tie-down equipment

Ramps are especially useful if you’re loading ATVs, equipment or other wheeled items.

A toolbox gives you somewhere to keep your straps, ratchets and tools, while a spare tire gives you some insurance against an unexpected roadside problem.

Should You Buy Trailer Accessories When You Buy the Trailer?

This depends on the customer.

I don’t believe every customer needs to load their trailer up with every accessory available. The choice should always come down to what you’re towing and how you expect to use the trailer.

However, I do recommend thinking about accessories before the trailer is built or purchased, rather than waiting until you discover you need them.

Some accessories are much easier to plan for when you’re ordering the trailer.

For example, if you know you’re going to need E-track, D-rings, a toolbox, ramps or a tarp system, it makes sense to consider those requirements as part of the overall trailer setup.

You also want to think about whether you’ll need them in the future.

Think About How You’ll Use Your Trailer in the Future

One of the biggest questions I recommend customers ask themselves is:

“What am I going to use this trailer for two or three years from now?”

You might be buying a trailer today for one particular job, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that will be its only job.

Think about questions such as:

  • Will I need loading ramps?
  • Will I regularly use ratchet straps?
  • Would trailer-mounted tie-downs be more convenient than hand-held ratchets?
  • If I use hand-held ratchets, where will I store them?
  • Would I benefit from a toolbox?
  • Will I need E-track?
  • Do I need D-rings?
  • Should I carry a spare tire?
  • Will I eventually need more payload capacity?
  • Would an axle upgrade make sense for my future use?
  • Will I be hauling different types of cargo later?

These questions can help you build a trailer that works for more than just the job you have planned today.

Don’t Forget About Axle Upgrades

Not every trailer accessory is something you bolt onto the trailer.

Sometimes, the most useful upgrade is related to the trailer’s capacity.

If you expect your hauling needs to increase in the future, it may be worth discussing axle upgrades and additional payload capacity when purchasing your trailer.

There is little point in buying a trailer that is perfect for today’s load if you know that you’ll regularly be hauling significantly heavier equipment in the future.

As with other accessories, the right choice depends on your intended use, tow vehicle and budget.

How Do I Know Which Trailer Accessories I Need?

The easiest way to figure out which accessories you need is to work backwards from how you will actually use the trailer.

Start by asking:

What am I hauling?

The cargo you’re carrying will determine whether you need ramps, D-rings, E-track, tarps or other equipment.

How am I loading it?

If you’re loading wheeled equipment, ramps may be essential. If you’re loading loose material into a dump trailer, a tarp system may be far more important.

How will I secure it?

Think about whether you’ll use hand-held ratchet straps, trailer-mounted tie-downs, E-track or D-rings.

Where will I store my equipment?

If you’re carrying straps, ratchets and tools, a toolbox can keep everything organized and readily available.

What happens if something goes wrong?

A spare tire is a great example. You might never use it, but the one time you need it, having it with you can make a huge difference.

The Best Trailer Accessories Are the Ones You’ll Actually Use

There is no reason to spend money on accessories that don’t serve a purpose for your trailer.

At the same time, trying to save a little money by leaving off an accessory you know you’ll need can become frustrating later.

The goal isn’t to buy the most accessories.

The goal is to build a trailer setup that works for you.

A deckover being used to haul ATVs might benefit enormously from ramps, a toolbox, proper tie-down equipment and a spare tire. An enclosed trailer might benefit more from E-track and floor-mounted D-rings. A dump trailer can benefit greatly from a tarp and roller system.

It all comes down to your needs.

Final Thoughts on Trailer Accessories

The right trailer accessories can make loading, securing, storing and hauling your cargo considerably easier.

From my experience, the accessories I recommend most often are spare tires, ramps, toolboxes, E-track and tarps, but that doesn’t mean every customer needs all five.

Think about the entire process of using your trailer.

How are you going to load it? How will you secure your cargo? Where will you keep your straps and tools? What happens if you get a flat tire? And what will you be using the trailer for a few years from now?

Those questions will usually tell you exactly which accessories are worth adding.

At Northern Star Trailers, we help customers choose a trailer and setup based on what they actually plan to haul—not simply what looks good on paper. Sometimes that means adding several accessories, while other times it means keeping the trailer simple.

The important thing is making sure your trailer is built for the way you use it.

 

The post What Accessories Make Trailers More Functional? appeared first on Northern Star Horizon.



source https://northernstartrailers.ca/6878-2/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Towing a Trailer for the First Time: Everything You Need to Know

Utility vs Equipment Trailers – What Should I Buy for My Company?

Tow Trailers: 10 Questions to Ask Before Purchasing